Text Size:

Current Size: 100%

Design advice and installation of appliances

Kitchen design

There are studies that analyse the activities within a kitchen to help kitchen designers choose the best layout of cookers, fridges, worktops and so on. Help in choosing the right arrangement of workspace and cooking appliances is offered by many retailers.

image of health professional giving advice at home
Health professional giving advice at home

While this is a useful service which can have a significant positive impact in the kitchen, it can lead to increased cost.

You can get free advice from an occupational therapist (OT) at a Disabled Living Centre or a home-improvement agency. Some OTs are based in hospitals, or you can ask for a referral from your GP or social services. If you can pay, a private OT can also assess you.

The College of Occupational Therapists has a list of private OTs.

You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of making changes to your kitchen. Contact your local Council for further information.
Home Improvement Agencies may also provide useful advice. They are local organisations that help older or disabled home owners to organise adaptations, building work and home repairs.

To find your local agency contact: 

Bleaklow House
Howard Town Mill
SK13 8HT

United Kingdom


0845 864 5210


If you are replacing like for like then you may only need a qualified handyperson. If you are thinking of replacing a free standing cooker with something more accessible then you may well need expert opinion. Redesigning your kitchen can include a lot of refitting which will increase cost.

Always have cookers, ovens and hobs installed by fully qualified electrical or gas engineers. This is essential to stay safe, and if you don’t, you also run the risk of invalidating your household insurance. For gas appliances they must be Gas Safe registered.

Last updated: January 2015

Lighting, devices and kitchen accessories | Lighting, devices and kitchen accessories| Useful resources