RiDC has assessed ten washing machines for features which make them easily accessible for blind and partially sighted people.
The Haier HW90-B14636 has the following ease of use features:
1. Tactile features
- This machine has a dial and a power button. All other functions are on the touchpad.
- The dial to select programmes clicks into place.
- The detergent tray has raised markings to indicate compartments.
2. Audio output
- The controls have a loud audible tone.
- The machine will beep once if you make an invalid selection.
- The machine makes an audible tone when it's powered on and off.
3. Visual contrast
- Each programme setting has a corresponding LED next to it that lights up when the dial selects the programme.
- The touchpad controls have corresponding LED lights on the digital display.
- There is an LCD digital display.
- The colour contrast is black on white around the dial, white on black on the touchpad, and yellow on black on the digital display.
- The font size around the dial and on the touchpad is very small.
- The machine is turned on by pressing the power button. The programme is set by turning the dial. All other settings are accessed using the touchpad.
- The machine is started by pressing the start/pause button once.
- The buttons on the touchpad are small and close together.
- This machine has 16 programmes.
- The digital display shows the time remaining.
- The buttons make audible tones when pressed.
- The dial clicks into place.
- The programme settings and touchpad buttons all have corresponding LED lights.
- You can pause the cycle using the start/pause button.
- There are no auto-cleaning programmes or settings.
- The detergent tray is easy to remove and clean. Its compartments are a reasonable size.
7. Smart features
- The Haier HW90-B14636 does not have any smart features
Last updated: May 2019
Table of easy to use washing machines | Haier HW90-B14636