Text Size:

Current Size: 100%

Help paying for home energy improvements

Green Deal

The government has stopped funding the Green Deal Finance Company, which was set up to lend money to Green Deal providers. You may still be able to get Green Deal funding from providers financing the scheme themselves. Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service (ESAS) or Home Energy Scotland for other advice on improvements you can make to your home.

The Green Deal helps you make energy-saving improvements to your home and find the best way to pay for them including:

  • insulation, eg solid wall, cavity wall or loft insulation
  • heating
  • draught-proofing
  • double glazing
  • renewable energy generation, eg solar panels or heat pumps

Green Deal is a financial loan:

  • towards energy-saving home improvements 
  • and you make repayments through your energy bills.
  • where a registered Green Deal assessor give you a quote detailing the changes that can be made and the estimated savings.
  • and like any other loan, the Green Deal charges interest.
  • so its value for money depends on your circumstances – a bank loan might be a better deal, for example. 
  • and in theory, your monthly repayments will be lower than the amount you will be saving on your bills. But this isn’t guaranteed because the repayments are based on estimated rather than real savings.

Read what Which?, the consumer organisation say in their investigation into the Green Deal

For more information, see the Government's Green Deal website

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) grants

ECO grants cover a set of responsibilities which the government has given energy suppliers: the Affordable Warmth, Carbon Saving and Carbon Saving Communities obligations.

Your energy company may help pay for new insulation or a new boiler in your home if you live in a low-income area, need expensive solid-wall insulation or are receiving certain benefits. The schemes are set to run until March 2017.

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service for more information:

The Energy Saving Trust
The Energy Saving Trust

United Kingdom


0300 123 1234

National grants

Warmer Homes Scotland

Grants are available for a range of improvements such as getting a new boiler fitted. You qualify if you are aged 60 or over and have no central heating, or are receiving certain benefits and living in a home with a poor energy-efficiency rating.

(Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm)

Home Energy Scotland (Greener Scotland)

0808 808 2282



Nyth/Nest (Wales)

This scheme is for people receiving certain benefits who are living in homes with poor energy-efficiency ratings. It’s not a grant – a heating system and/or insulation is installed directly, funded by the scheme.

(Mon-Fri 9am-7pm)

Nyth/Nest (Wales)

0808 808 2244


Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are administered by your local authority. If you need to make adaptations to your home to accommodate your disability – including a suitable heating system – you could get financial help towards the costs, depending on where you live. See the Government's pages about Disabled Facilities Grants or contact your local authority for more information.

Know your consumer rights

Check to see if you know your rights when buying services online or in person.
Go to consumer rights here.

Last updated: November 2016

Previous: Saving Energy| Help paying for improvements | Next: Help with bills