Text Size:

Current Size: 100%

Stairlifts - getting further help

Help with getting a stairlift: money and information

If you need help with paying for a stairlift, or need more information than we have provided in this brief guide to stairlifts, you may find the following resources useful:

Help from your local authority

It is worth talking to your local council at an early stage. They may have useful advice and local contacts. Some councils provide stairlifts to people if their assessment shows that they need one. They may provide them without charge, or you may be asked to pay towards the cost.

Some local authorities may be able to give you a low-cost loan or even a grant towards the cost of installing a lift. Policies vary, and there may be waiting lists for some services. Check with the social services, housing department or the environmental health department at your local council.

Disabled Facilities Grant

You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. You have to show you need a stairlift and that installing it would be reasonable and practical. An occupational therapist from your local council will talk to you and look at your home, then make a recommendation. You'll have to provide details of your financial circumstances - the amount paid to you will be based on this.

If the lift is needed for a disabled child aged under 19, the amount paid will not depend on your financial circumstances.

For more information, see the government web pages about Disabled Facilities Grants.

There's a different system in Scotland. Councils in Scotland are required to give a grant for the installation of any additional amenities you need. You have to contribute to the cost - what you have to pay will depend on your financial circumstances. For more information, contact your local social work department.

Home improvement agencies

It's also worth getting in touch with your nearest home improvement agency (sometimes called 'Care and Repair' or 'Staying Put'). These independent agencies give you advice, help you obtain local support services and provide practical help. They should be able to tell you about all the help you can get locally, including any financial benefits.

To find your nearest home improvement agency, contact Foundations, the national body that links them together:

Bleaklow House
Howard Town Mill
SK13 8HT

United Kingdom


0845 864 5210

Consumer rights - who can help?

Find out more here.


Last updated: November 2016

Previous: Costs | Getting further help | Next: Manufacturers and suppliers